Friday, June 3, 2016

Squat Challenge Week 6: Fruits that resemble glutes... and symmetry

Weak glutes. Everyone has them, including me. Is it due to poor posture and a lack of walking and squatting? Most likely. I know that my gluts are weak and I know that my left side is weaker than my right. I can see this weakness manifest in my squat when I:

  1. shift more weight onto my stronger right leg when coming up from my squat. 
  2. move the weight forwards towards my toes as I go deeper, instead of keeping it planted through my heels - see purple line in picture A, the knee is in front of the heel as weight comes forward 
  3. collapse my knees together when I rise up from a deep squat - see picture A, the top line between the knees is much smaller than the bottom line between the ankles 
Picture A... bad 

Picture B... better


This weeks goals: 
  1. Create symmetry between the left and right side. Focus on evenly moving up and down through the squat
  2. When in doubt, stick it out... get the glutes more active by moving the weight back into the heels. Ideally I want to be able to wiggle my toes at the lowest point of my squat - picture B, purple arrow on knee directly over ankle 
  3. Keep the knees as wide as the feet, pushing the knees away from each other on the way up and down - picture B, pink lines are the same distance at the knee and at the ankle 
And now for fun... FRUITS that resemble GLUTES




Good luck with your deep squat this week! Try not to attempt to make too many changes at once. Focus on just one or two things until they become natural and easy then move on.

1 comment: