Friday, May 6, 2016

Squat Challenge Week 2: Ankles

Want to learn how to do a perfect deep squat?? This week we are going to focus on the ankles and their ideal position in the deep squat.

I have a shocking number of high heels considering that I am fully aware of how bad they are for the pelvic floor but these heels have served a very useful purpose today. They are going to give me a measurement of how much assistance I need to achieve my current resting squat position... and I need a lot. Almost 3 inches. Ideally the entire foot is planted on the ground and my shin should be close (if not completely) vertical. For me, holding a better squat position without support is a strength, balance and mobility issue.

body and birth squatting

Let's focus on mobility for now. To help me loosen up my ankles and lengthen my calf muscles the goals this week are:

1. Only wearing neutral shoes (meaning no heel) or no shoe.

Most footwear, including runners, men's shoes, kids shoes and casual shoes have a positive heel. Check out how much positive heel you have by comparing the difference in height from the back of the shoe to the front. Sometimes you can find this value online, especially for running shoes and hiking shoes. Over time the calf muscles will become chronically shortened due to the large amount of time spent daily in positive heeled shoes. The reason that this is my first (and most important) point is because even if I spend 1 hour daily doing the other two 'exercises', the 8+ hours I spend in heels will negate any change.

2. Stretching the lower leg.

Keeping my half dome roller in my main bathroom to stretch out my gastrocnemius and soleus. While brushing my teeth, washing my hands, doing my hair, etc I hope to spend at least 20 minutes stretching out these tight muscles daily. My stretches should be fluid, moving in and out of the stretch, keeping the knee straight and then bending it as I feel the stretch move to the top of the muscle to the bottom, to the left and to the right.

Body and BirthBody and BirthBody and Birth

3. Practice Squatting.

Practice squatting in a supported position but just below where I start to lose good form (we will talk more about this next week!). I'll put a rolled up yoga mat under my heels and hang out here trying to focus on relaxing the tension in my ankles, moving my weight back and extending through the spine. I am going to aim for lots of slow controlled squats throughout the day, but only a few at a time. At night I will try and do a longer session while I watch 'Turn' my new favorite Netflix Original Series about a cabbage farmer.

body and birth squat

TIPS: you can use basically anything in place of a half dome, like a rolled up yoga mat or something salvaged from the recycle bin.

Happy Physio Friday and good luck loosening up those stiff ankles!

No comments:

Post a Comment