Friday, May 13, 2016

Squat Challenge Week 3: Pelvis

This week we will talk about one thing that most people do as they start to squat deeper... TUCK the TAIL BONE.

At some point during my squat my pelvis starts to 'TUCK'. That means that my tail bone (back) gets closer to my pubic bone (front). This position shortens the pelvic floor preventing it from working properly. It also puts the gluts and core muscles at a disadvantage when supporting my body in a squat. This is one reason that I need to hold onto something when I squat.




Two things to focus on this week:

1. Sitting with a not tucked tail bone.

This position is a less deep squat and a position that I get into (way too) often throughout the day. I'm going to sit with my tail bone not tucked at the table, on the couch and in my car. Practice rotating your pelvis forward and backwards to get an idea of what it feels like to tuck and untuck the tail bone, that way you'll be able to tell what your pelvis is doing while you squat. Just like calf stretching vs neutral footwear (see week 2) it's more important to correct the positions you spend all day in rather than do a few minutes of stretching.

 


2. Supported Squat.

I'm going to use support to go deeper into my squat while maintaining a not tucked tail bone. I will need to continue to support my ankles with my yoga mat (or a decline slope on a sidewalk). Hanging out here will help me gain body awareness of my pelvis position as I move in and out of tucked vs not tucked. Over the week I want to decrease the amount of support that I need, only using my fingertips to hold me upright as my balance and strength increase.

No comments:

Post a Comment